Monday, July 19, 2010

Second Thoughts About Strangers

After considering “our” upcoming “Cruise for a Cause” in every way I thought conceivable I had this “ah-ha” moment of a different perspective. I had been telling a friend about a conversation I’d had with the owner of a nice truck at a recent cruise in Holley when it came to me.
How often do you have a conversation with a perfect stranger in the normal course of a day? I asked a couple of my favorite counselors (Marcia and Pam) that question; the best we could come up with in a couple minutes was:

“in an emergency” (not a normal day, I hope),
“in an elevator” (not usual and never a real conversation),
“at a bar” (these happen but there’s a lot of unsavory possibilities to those “chance” meetings), and
“on or waiting for a bus/train/plane” (yeh, but it’s a scary thought and many of us avoid those conversations).

So we were left with the conclusion that at a Car Cruise is one of the few places you can strike up a conversation with that perfect stranger! Once I had this planted in my brain I realized that my favorite cruises are the ones where I think I’ll see my friends AND/or get to talk with some interesting strangers, without hesitation. No fear.
What could be better than that? It’s even kinda biblical when you think about Jesus’ teachings. And the folks you bump into at cruises come from all walks of life. Over the years I’ve come to know some of those people a bit better and their careers range from janitors to plumbers to executives to lawyers to doctors, really.
So jump into this delightful mix of personalities at the “Cruise for a Cause” in our church parking* lot on Thursday, July 29 (rain date: Aug 4) from 4 to 8 PM (info @ 248-681-0040). Plus you’ll get:
Seeing nice cars,
“Elvis the Clown”
A great DJ (thanks Sue & Bill at TCD Entertainment)
Happy people like you,
Good Food (yum, thanks Sheila)
Door Prizes (thank you many local businesses),
A pleasant evening, and
You can support the MS Society too.
And it's all Free Will !
Happy Trails,
Bob

*Central United Methodist Church
3882 Highland Road (between Meijer’s and Kmart)
Waterford, MI

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home