Thursday, August 26, 2010

Let's Make Nice

Here's the deal: I'll have lots to compliment and praise the Woodward Dream Cruise and all the associated celebrations in upcoming blogs; this one is a gripe. And I think it is a serious gripe so hear me out on this.

I got some negative reports from what I consider an important group of people in the heart of "Dream Cruise Country". And it was in Royal Oak of all places. What happened is that among the many people who parked on local streets so they could walk in, several individuals had rude, sarcastic, and otherwise unwelcome and unprovoked insults for the local homeowners. This is bad form in any circumstance but at the WDC it's bad for lots of reasons.

First reason is that unlike all the jokers in minivans, SUV's, late model sedans, and other non-cruiser cars that choose to clog the streets just to look at the cars, my "good guys" instead choose to park a block or two or more away and walk in to spectate. I love those guys. More people get to see the rolling show and fewer cars choke traffic. But the few that talk trash at the homeowners and their guests stinks. And somehow I can see the cranks that seem to control city hall in RO may just decide to slap some temporary "no parking" restrictions on the side streets; their cops are already well practiced at passing out statutory bad attitude none of us need to give them a reason.

Secondly, the WDC has an absolutely shining reputation for good behavior of all the participants. And why not; we get a total orgy of great cars, something like 13 communities get taken over for most of a week or two, shopkeepers close up with an apology to their regular customers but still have the courtesy to post WDC posters in their windows. Who could ask for more. But I betcha that lots of those shop owners and store employees live close by. And some blow-hard has to hurl insults for no reason other than sheer stupidity. Bummer.

Thirdly, didn't their mom learn them any manners? I know they likely aren't cruisers but the folks sitting in their own front lawn see them as Dream Cruise participants. In the spectator sense they are participants, but now they've painted ALL participants as with the color "jerk".

So now I've got my rant off my chest.

To all you cruisers and in this case especially the "walk-in" spectators, I love ya.

Enjoy the cruise and make nice with the local population, please.
Happy Trails to You,
bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home